Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Trots, Toe Clenching, A New PR & My Next Race

Well, I guess I'll start this week off by giving big kudos to my wife for finding a coupon for half off the entry fee for the Rogue Runner Race in October (http://www.roguerunnerrace.com/).  I've been trying to find another race to do after Spartan Race (http://www.spartanrace.com) because I did not want all the clean eating and training I've been doing to wind up being for just one event (between yoga, weight training and running, I train around 10 times a week).  I wanted to do the Tough Mudder (http://toughmudder.com/), but I was concerned about doing a 12 mile obstacle race 2 weeks after Spartan and the $150+ entry fee was kind of steep.  I still want to do the Baltimore 1/2 Marathon (http://www.thebaltimoremarathon.com/), but I haven't made my decision yet. 

This brings me to my next point.  I think I'm starting to peak in my training.  I've set 2 new personal records for a 10k in the past two weeks (my new PR for a 10K, 45:09,  was set last week in my first run with red).  I'm starting to get stronger and break through strength plateaus.  It's really cool to break through barriers like this, to test my personal limits and learn different little lessons about my body and training.  Unfortunately, my #1 enemy still remains.  We're going to get a little gross here, so please be warned.  My #1 enemy is runner's trots (http://www.active.com/nutrition/Articles/How-to-Avoid-Runners-Trots.htm).  Runner's trots, for those that don't know, is a form loose stool that primarily affects distance runners.  It's estimated to affect anywhere from 20-50% of runners. 

Seriously, this is probably something people think is funny or gross or whatever, but it's something I've grown to dread.  I've tried to nail the cause down and I've tried a variety of different pre-run routines, but it's something I just can't get a hold on.  It's always hit or miss.  The best bet for me has been to use immodium, but I don't consider that real fix.  I mean, who wants to have to pop an immodium every time they want to go out for a run?  Besides, who even knows what kind of long term effects that might have.  What is particularly frustrating about this, is that it's ruined some really good runs.   

For example, two weeks ago I was setting an awesome 10K pace that was actually much faster than the run I set my PR with.  Then, midway through mile three, I started to get that feeling in my gut.  At mile 4 it started to bubble up.  Mile 5 IT HIT!  I can't explain this feeling but it's like having to take the biggest and worst crap in your life.  What's worse is that I was 2 miles from the house and there were no restrooms around.  Guess what?  I've got to waddle/walk/run/scooch those two miles home.    My wife calls it "The Walk of Shame."  I think it's an appropriate name.  The whole way home I beat myself and hate my body for failing me.  Not cool. 

Ok, I'm sure you guys don't come here to hear about my crap, so we'll move on.  This week I learned a new lesson about my running and stride.  I was out doing a 10 mile run about two weeks ago and I noticed an ache in the toes on my left foot.  I had noticed I was having some sharp pains in my toes during the week.  It was not a mild pain either, but a sharp shooting pain.  What I realized during that run was that I was clenching my toes, almost to the point of making a fist with my toes, every time my foot struck the ground. 

I made a concentrated effort to stop doing it and noticed an immediate difference.  I had been having problem with one toe in particular (my kids call it the gross toe) and the pain is nearly gone.  I'm finding that my stride is much more comfortable and feels a lot more organic now.  I still catch myself doing it, but I think it's only a matter of time until the muscle memory catches up and I fix this problem.  It's one of those interesting little things that I thought I would point out.

For those of us that run, we don't often think about every little thing that our body is doing.  We get into a rhythm and just kind of let it carry us through the session.  Sometimes, it's a good idea to slow down and actually concentrate on what you are doing.  You never know what little thing you will learn about your form.  Perhaps you might find something to help you correct a nagging little injury or to just make the experience just a little bit more pleasant.

No comments:

Post a Comment